When I was starting out as a skin therapist I was still struggling with acne and scarring, learning what works and what doesn’t. I worked with a beautiful, tall and elegant French woman, named Hugette. She had the most beautiful skin I had ever seen in a woman over the age of 50. When I asked her what her secret was she told me “Oh darling I masque twice a day. A cleansing masque in the morning and a hydrating masque at night.” From that time on masques have been right at the top of my list for essential skin health products, which is surprising as traditionally masks were the worst skincare sellers.
With recent advances in skincare ingredients we have seen the mega online market of Gen X and Gen Y looking for the best possible way to stay young or regain their youthful complexion. That is why you would have seen mask treatments being promoted all over instagram and the internet for the past 2 years. Skincare companies have come to realize that with a little education and promotion, mask treatments can give us exactly what we want. Smooth, healthy and glowing skin.
So here are my favorite mask picks to help you achieve glowing skin health.
Oily Acne Prone Skin – Clean and Refine.
- Dermalogica Medibac Sebum Clearing Masque – A powerhouse anti-acne, anti-oil and pore refining mask. Use it once or twice a week for a good pore cleanse and refining treatment.
- Eminence Clear Skin Probiotic Masque – A soothing, anti-bacterial masque that helps to control oil flow, restore good skin bacteria levels and calm the redness and inflammation acne blemishes inflict on the skin. Also has a refining effect on pores.
- Eminence Eight Greens Phyto Masque – Hot – If hormonal acne is the bane of your existence, this is the masque for you. Not only will it control and eliminate hormonal acne blemishes, it will balance oil flow, hydrate the skin and provide antioxidant and phyto-estrogen to firm the skin. Win, win and all counts. Please note: It has a stimulating effect and will cause your skin to heat up and go a little red. This is normal as the masque has a detoxification and collagen stimulation effect via warming the skin. I recommend using the Eminence Stone Crop Masque immediately afterwards to reduce the redness more quickly if you need. There is also a Not Hot version of this masque that some may find a little more comfortable.
- Cosmedix Clear Deep Cleansing Masque – This clinical grade masque has a powerful line up of ingredient that de-congest, refine and deeply cleanse the skin whilst aiding in the fading of sun damage and pigmented scarring. A good all rounder for oily, congested and acne prone skin.
- Alpha H Balancing and Pore Refining Masque – An economical and effective treatment for open and clogged pores, used regularly you will find less acne breakouts and a smoother skin texture.
Dull, Sun Damaged and Pigmented Skin – Brighten and Illuminate.
- Cosmedix Glow Bamboo Brightening Masque – A clinical grade masque with Vitamin B and C. This treatment masque is designed to attack pigmentation from the surface with bamboo exfoliation as well as from the internal immuno & hormonal functions that cause pigmentation.
- Eminence Bright Skin Masque – My hands down favorite for pigmentation and melasma. A super fine film of masque is all you need once a day to see a dramatic difference in hyper-pigmentation. The concentrated organic mix of skin brightening ingredients is enhanced with a natural hydroquinone alternative, which means you get the pigment fading result your desire with out the irritating and, sometimes damaging results, of prescriptive hydroquinone.
- Payot Uni Skin Masque Magnetique – A really fun mask to use. Apply the black magnetic mask and leave for 5 mins, then remove it with the magnet that comes in the packaging. The result is smooth, bright, illuminated and really clean skin.
- PCA Skin Revitalizing Mask – The enzymatic action of this clinical grade mask works quickly to brighten and hydrate the skin. 5 mins you is all you need to clean the mask off and reveal a radiant, more hydrated complexion.
Combination Skin – Hydrate and Refine.
- Eminence Balancing Duo – 2 masks in 1. A charcoal based pore refining mask in one side of the tub and a soothing, hydrating mask in the other. Apply the charcoal mask to the T Zone to refine open pores and alleviate clogged pores and apply the hydrating mask to the more delicate outer cheek areas. So convenient.
- Aspect Exfoliating Clay Mask – Exfoliate and refine the T Zone whilst soothing and cleansing the more delicate outer reaches of the cheeks.
- Dermalogica Hydrating Mask – Calming, soothing, hydrating and line plumping. All a combination could want when dehydration causes discomfort.
Dry, Dehydrated, Lines & Wrinkles – Firm and Plump
- Societe Rejuvenating Gel Peptide Mask – A soothing, calming, refreshing and line plumping sheet mask that you apply after cleansing and exfoliating. Have a rest on the bed for 20 mins whilst you allow this mask to work it’s magic. A great pre-party prepping mask for flawless application of your makeup.
- Priori Hydrofill Mask – Give environmental aging factors the flick with this advance free radical fighting hydration and anti-aging mask.
- Payot Techni Liss Peel Masque – The latest technology in counteracting Blue Light aging has been added to this anti-aging, anti-pollution and anti free radical skin smoothing mask. Exfoliate, brighten, plump and refine your skin for a fresh complexion.
- Eminence Firm Skin Acai Masque – A sweet smelling and deeply nourishing anti aging mask that can be used daily to firm, plump and hydrate the skin. Again you only use a fine film of masque to get the optimum results. You could easily apply it like moisturizer and go about your day without any problems. You may want to remove any seeds first before you do this.
So there you have it, some fantastic suggestions to start your daily masking regime on. As always you can contact me with any queries or make a booking for a facial and consultation to find the right masks for your skin.